If you need to obtain twice-daily briefings like this by e mail, signal as much as the Entrance Web page e-newsletter right here and strive our Audio Briefings on WhatsApp.
Brexit: Boris Johnson set for first Jean-Claude Juncker talks
May this be the enhance Brexit wants? Boris Johnson is to satisfy Jean Claude-Juncker for the primary time subsequent week, it has been introduced, amid rising optimism in London breakthrough on the Irish backstop might unlock Brexit talks. Talking in Yorkshire this afternoon, the Prime Minister stated he was “cautiously optimistic” forward of his go to to Luxembourg on Monday. However he was heckled by an viewers member, who informed him to “get back to Parliament”. Watch Mr Johnson’s response. The PM insisted the “rough shape” of a deal is in place. However what precisely is his “all-Ireland” resolution to the border concern – and the way does it differ from Theresa Could’s backstop? Daniel Capurro does his greatest to clarify. For extra professional perception and evaluation from our crew in Brussels and past, I can advocate the subscriber-exclusive Brexit Bulletin e-newsletter.
In the meantime, a senior Tory MP has accused John Bercow – who final night time appeared to liken Mr Johnson to a financial institution robber – of working a “majoritarian dictatorship” within the Home of Commons. Sir Bernard Jenkin warned that the workplace of Speaker has turn into “irretrievably politicised and radicalised”. And here’s a reminder from Camilla Tominey of how Mr Bercow grew to become the self-appointed chair of repeated Remainer makes an attempt to dam Brexit.
Byron Burger: Agency ‘misled’ allergic teenager killed by meal
The household of a teen who died after consuming a birthday meal at a Byron Burger restaurant have demanded a change within the regulation on allergen labelling. A coroner at present concluded Owen Carey – who informed workers he was allergic to dairy – was misled into pondering the meal was secure for him to eat. Gareth Davies has extra from Southwark Coroner’s Court docket. The case bears “remarkable parallels” to the demise of a teen who had an allergic response to a Pret A Manger baguette.
Synthetic grass: ‘Hidden risks’ of development for plastic lawns
It could be simpler to keep up, however what’s the price to wildlife of getting synthetic grass at residence? The Royal Horticultural Society has warned of the “hidden dangers” of swapping grass for plastic. Helena Horton has every thing you could know earlier than carpeting your garden with the choice.
- Heathrow protest | Police jam drone sign to get robust on eco-warriors
- Largest pretend visa rip-off | Fraudsters helped 900 migrants keep in UK
- ‘Hidden victims’ | Home violence homicide price at five-year excessive
- Citizen’s arrest | Milkman detains drunken reveller who hijacked float
- Friday 13th | How a Buckingham Palace bombing fed the superstition
Podcast: Rees-Mogg, by the person who is aware of him greatest
Jacob’s Ladder | Lord Ashcroft, former Conservative Celebration deputy chairman, and new biographer of Jacob Rees-Mogg, tells Chopper’s Brexit Podcast whether or not or not he believes the Chief of the Home of Commons has what it takes to turn into prime minister – and why his honesty is vital to his reputation.
- Molly Giles | Tory grassroots shedding persistence with out-of-touch get together
- Telegraph View | The European Union is pale, stale and intolerant
- Reader letters | Interfering in politics places judges on collision course
- Lauren Davidson | I lowballed a vendor – then married his greatest good friend
- Annabel Fenwick Elliott | Child boomers have wrecked marriage
World information: The one story you should learn at present…
Race to the White Home | After the newest TV debate within the Democrat Celebration’s race for the 2020 US presidential nomination, what did we be taught? US Editor Ben Riley-Smith was in Houston, Texas, and has recognized 5 takeaways.
- World’s most secretive state | Michael Palin in North Korea – unique diary
- Inside story | How one photographer revealed the long-lasting ‘Tank Man’ picture to the world
- Katie Investigates | ‘RAC breakdown assistant swore at me – then ruined my Audi A3’
Enterprise and cash briefing
Earnings up… tax down | Twitter paid simply £41,000 in UK taxes final yr, reducing its invoice from £2.4m a yr earlier. As Hannah Boland reviews, it’s a rebuff to rising stress on Silicon Valley giants to hike their funds.
- No hope of a U-turn | Why good motorways are right here to remain
- Trump to ban vaping | Are tobacco shares set for a comeback?
- Keep on high of the markets | Dwell shares and shares updates 24 hours a day
Jose Mourinho | The previous Chelsea and United supervisor is taking his first main managerial profession break in 19 years. What has he realized? Learn his unique interview with Chief Soccer Author Sam Wallace.
- England v Australia | Observe reside commentary from day two at The Oval
- High 20 | The 100 greatest rugby gamers on this planet – last a part of collection
- Jamie Carragher | Sterling’s improvement jogs my memory of Ronaldo
And at last…
All white | White flurries of snow fell from a gentle autumn sky in Tokyo this morning – not the newest instance of maximum international climate, however a part of a heat-busting experiment by Olympics officers. Danielle Demetriou explains extra.