If you wish to obtain twice-daily briefings like this by electronic mail, signal as much as the Entrance Web page publication right here and attempt our Audio Briefings on WhatsApp.
Thomas Cook dinner: A whole lot of hundreds left stranded overseas
Britain’s greatest ever peacetime repatriation is below means. Greater than 150,000 British holidaymakers are stranded overseas after the collapse of Thomas Cook dinner early at present. The journey big ceased buying and selling at 2am with an announcement that it had gone into liquidation, having did not safe a last-ditch rescue deal. The UK Civil Aviation Authority has launched the duty of bringing clients house – codenamed Operation Matterhorn. Chris Graham explains what occurs to vacation bookings and the way those that are caught abroad get again. The autumn of one of many world’s oldest journey firms places 21,000 jobs in danger and 550 outlets in Britain now face closure. The place did all of it go fallacious? Oliver Gill has the total story. Observe newest updates and important recommendation in our liveblog.
Regardless of long-term fears Thomas Cook dinner confronted collapse, executives have been paid big salaries and bonuses over the past 5 years. With the figures prone to anger employees who face shedding their jobs, Victoria Ward reveals how a lot chief government Peter Fankhauser has taken house since he took the helm in 2014.
Labour: Occasion can be crushed over Brexit, Jeremy Corbyn instructed
Jeremy Corbyn is dealing with a full-scale revolt over his Brexit coverage. Senior social gathering figures have warned that Labour can be crushed on the subsequent election if he continued to sit down on the fence. Political Editor Gordon Rayner reveals the massive names within the social gathering who’ve condemned an absence of management. Mr Corbyn can be struggling to keep up authority inside his personal personal workplace after his “Orwellian” right-hand man was accused of driving out the social gathering’s coverage chief.
Royal tour: Excessive safety as Sussexes go to infamous township
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex start their tour of South Africa at present in one of many nation’s most infamous townships. Chief Reporter Robert Mendick explains the safety preparations to maintain the couple and their child son, Archie, secure. Right here is all the pieces to know in regards to the royal journey. It has additionally emerged that the Duchess wore borrowed earrings value £5 to a glamorous marriage ceremony in Rome.
- Breaking: Saudi oil assaults | Boris Johnson could ship troops to Gulf
- Emmy Awards | Britain’s main women in shock victories in LA
- Israel election | Bid to oust Netanyahu as he’s on cusp of shedding energy
- ‘Crime towards humanity’ | Consuming meat ought to be an offence, says QC
- Secrets and techniques of Monument | Early drawings reveals column’s hidden goal
Gallery: The large image
Site visitors stoppers | Six younger horses triggered the M23 close to Crawley and Gatwick Airport in Sussex to shut in each instructions yesterday. Click on right here for our image editor’s choice of extra placing photos from world wide.
- Charles Moore | Labour’s Brexit chaos avoids the Boris Johnson entice
- Nick Timothy | It’s clear that Labour is getting ready to betray ‘the numerous’
- Michael Deacon | Jeremy Corbyn is the world’s oldest teenager
- Jane Shilling | Lately, forgiveness appears to be the toughest phrase
- Kate Weinberg | My years at Oxford have been a few of the worst of my life
- Boosting most cancers survival | Is personal drugs the reply?
- Going skinny on prime? | The latest improvements for hair loss revealed
- Lisa Armstrong at Milan Trend Week | Time to overlook florals
Enterprise and cash briefing
LSE bid | Except for Thomas Cook dinner, the opposite massive enterprise story is the most recent on the London Inventory Change. The Hong Kong inventory trade has referred to as on a duo of banking heavyweights to assist it appeal shareholders, after its shock £32bn takeover strategy was comprehensively rejected by the board.
- Purchase-to-let | Landlords urged to promote properties earlier than tax payments soar
- Funding tip | Shares should not meal-deal low-cost, however keep on the desk
- Keep on prime of the markets | Stay shares and shares updates 24 hours a day
Rugby World Cup | Manu Tuilagi powered England to a successful begin with a 35-Three victory over Tonga. However, as Mick Cleary stories, the assertion efficiency sought by head coach Eddie Jones did not materialise as his facet struggled to subdue tactically astute opponents. And ITV received off on the fallacious foot with viewers in a “cringeworthy” Japanese-themed studio.
- Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2 | Purple-hot leaders break document – match report
- West Ham 2 Manchester United zero | Roy Keane shocked by abject loss
- Oh, Danny boy! | England’s Willett stuns world’s greatest golfers at Wentworth
And at last…
BBC squeaks | For almost 100 years, six “pips” have been a well-recognized, comforting sound on BBC radio. However Radio four listeners have been confused yesterday when the pips went lacking. Jessica Carpani explains what went fallacious.